New York News
Search for missing diver in Queens suspended
NEW YORK -- The Coast Guard has suspended a search for a missing diver who was last seen spear fishing in the waters off New York City.
The 29-year-old man went missing at about 7 a.m. Friday near Breezy Point Surf Club in Queens.
The search effort continued overnight and into Saturday morning and was suspended at 8:30 p.m.
Helicopters, boats and scuba divers were scoured more than 2,000 square miles for more than 60 hours.
The Coast Guard says local agencies including the New York fire and police departments helped the search.
The Coast Guard says a search and rescue case is suspended with "extremely great care and deliberation," and after a search area has been "saturated" and the missing persons are still not located.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, missing person, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 52 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice 50 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips 57 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
52 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
50 min ago