New York News
Baby boy in Brooklyn drowns in toilet
NEW YORK -- New York officials say a nearly 1-year-old boy, who was pronounced dead after arriving at a hospital unconscious and unresponsive, drowned in a toilet bowl.
A spokeswoman for the city's Medical Examiner's Office tells The Journal News the death of little Mendi Altman, of Monsey, N.Y., has been ruled an accidental drowning.
Police say the toddler was brought to Maimonides Hospital in Brooklyn by private means shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday. They say he was transported to the hospital from an apartment in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn.
No criminality is suspected at this time. Police are investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, drowning, child death, borough park, new york news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos