New York News
Man indicted in Central Park attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City prosecutors say a grand jury has voted to indict a drifter on charges he sexually assaulted a 73-year-old birdwatcher in Central Park.
The indictment naming David Albert Mitchell was announced in court on Wednesday without the defendant there. The 42-year-old has been jailed since his arrest last week on rape and other charges.
Manhattan prosecutors have accused Mitchell of assaulting the woman in broad daylight on Sept. 12. They say the attack occurred about a week after she photographed him exposing himself.
There was no immediate response to a phone message left Wednesday with Mitchell's attorney.
Authorities in West Virginia have said Mitchell was acquitted of a murder charge two decades ago and was considered a person of interest in another slaying that remains unsolved.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, central park, rape, robbery, new york news, marci gonzalez
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy 11 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 24 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 21 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos