New York News
NYPD trains on 'Boardwalk Empire' set
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The producers of HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" loaned its Greenpoint, Brooklyn set to the NYPD for an exercise.
During the exercise, the NYPD's Emergency Service Unit rushed to the scene by police helicopter, and fast-roped onto the boardwalk to rescue hostages and took six "armed terrorists" into custody. A "wounded officer" also was airlifted to safety.
This was one of many NYPD drills to address the threat posed by multiple, active shooters after armed terrorists in Mumbai killed hostages in a hotel, train station, restaurant and Jewish community center there in 2008.
In Wednesday's mock attack, police entered the "Ritz Carlton Hotel," which is featured in the HBO series, and rescued hostages there after clearing the boardwalk of civilians played by college students who are enrolled in the NYPD Cadet Corps.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 54 min ago
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 41 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 25 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 13 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 13 min ago