New York News
NYPD trains on 'Boardwalk Empire' set
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The producers of HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" loaned its Greenpoint, Brooklyn set to the NYPD for an exercise.
During the exercise, the NYPD's Emergency Service Unit rushed to the scene by police helicopter, and fast-roped onto the boardwalk to rescue hostages and took six "armed terrorists" into custody. A "wounded officer" also was airlifted to safety.
This was one of many NYPD drills to address the threat posed by multiple, active shooters after armed terrorists in Mumbai killed hostages in a hotel, train station, restaurant and Jewish community center there in 2008.
In Wednesday's mock attack, police entered the "Ritz Carlton Hotel," which is featured in the HBO series, and rescued hostages there after clearing the boardwalk of civilians played by college students who are enrolled in the NYPD Cadet Corps.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, new york news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance 43 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 36 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski 46 min ago
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 4 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos