New York News
NYPD trains on 'Boardwalk Empire' set
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The producers of HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" loaned its Greenpoint, Brooklyn set to the NYPD for an exercise.
During the exercise, the NYPD's Emergency Service Unit rushed to the scene by police helicopter, and fast-roped onto the boardwalk to rescue hostages and took six "armed terrorists" into custody. A "wounded officer" also was airlifted to safety.
This was one of many NYPD drills to address the threat posed by multiple, active shooters after armed terrorists in Mumbai killed hostages in a hotel, train station, restaurant and Jewish community center there in 2008.
In Wednesday's mock attack, police entered the "Ritz Carlton Hotel," which is featured in the HBO series, and rescued hostages there after clearing the boardwalk of civilians played by college students who are enrolled in the NYPD Cadet Corps.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, new york news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Connecticut, NTSB officials to tour train crash site
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Cops investigating after Hofstra student killed 47 min ago
- Ramarley Graham's parents to join rally in Harlem 40 min ago
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos