New York News
Major guns bust in New York City
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two major gun trafficking rings have been taken down and scores of illegal firearms are off the streets of New York City, officials said.
Authorities seized more than 110 machine guns, assault rifles and other weapons during the two operations in the past 24 hours.
Investigators said 13 suspects were arrested in East Harlem over the last 24 hours, and three others are still at large.
In what was labeled the "Mickey Mouse Trap," 64-year-old Mitchell "Mickey" Collins and three others allegedly sold 88 firearms to undercover officers. In other instances, an AK 17 assault rifle was bought by an undercover officer for $1,600 and a 32 caliber Smith and Wesson was bought for $400.
Many of the guns were funneled north out of South Carolina from pawn shops and gun dealers, officials said.
Police said Collins' arrest history dates to 1968, when he was charged with possession of a loaded firearm. He has been in prison for attempted murder, weapons possession and drug sales.
The other sting was dubbed Operation Carver. The suspects range in ages from 17 to 23. They have been living in the George Washington Carver Houses in East Harlem. They suspects allegedly sold 41 guns and a bullet resistant vest to an undercover officer. Two were used in shootings - one in the Bronx in 2003 and the other in a gunfight in the Cypress Houses in Brooklyn.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, gun, gun violence, crime, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
45 min ago