New York News
Horse living in condemned Bronx barn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An aging horse named Rusty has been found living in a condemned barn in the Bronx.
It only took at few seconds for the beautiful gelding to appear a horse who lives in a dilapidated barn.
Only slivers of sunlight trickle in.
"I really feel bad, because it was something the kids in the neighborhood benefit from was nice to just have in the neighborhood," said Dorothy Poggi, a Bronx resident.
Pelham Parkway Section, the Bronx
It was once was a thriving business where kids rode horses and named this fella "Rusty".
But, the stables have fallen into disrepair.
Rusty's owner, Buster Marengo, has fallen behind on property tax payments and neighbors say rarely comes here to feed the animals.
The Department of Buildings tells Eyewitness News it issued Marengo an order to vacate last November.
"A person couldn't live in here, but a majestic animal like a horse can, that is not acceptable," said Brian Shapiro, Humane Society.
It's why this group created the "Save the Rusty Campaign" with Senator Jeff Klein taking the reins.
Two weeks ago, animal control officers dropped by and though they felt Rusty was thin, didn't feel he was being mistreated
Klein says the way the law stands now, one he wants changed, the only way to get Rusty out of here, is if officers determined the horse was in immediate danger.
"We've already reached out to animal sanctuaries around the state, many many kind hearted individuals that are willing to give rusty a great home," said Sen. Jeff Klein, (D) Bronx-Westchester.
The change in legislation would simply boil down to this: if a structure like this is not suited for humans, than the same should hold true for animals.
It's one of many things Eyewitness News asked Marengo about at his home, but he had no comment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, animals, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term 59 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013