New York News
Man injured after jumping in tiger den at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man is in critical but stable condition after apparently jumping from a monorail into the tiger den at the Bronx Zoo.
Bronx Zoo officials expressed relief that the 400-pound tiger spared the man's life.
"I think it's safe to say if he wanted to do harm he would have," said Jim Breheny, Bronx Zoo Director.
The 11-year-old Siberian tiger they call "Bachuta" did bite 25-year-old David Villalobos several times.
It left him with multiple puncture wounds on his arms, legs, shoulders and back and he also sustained a broken ankle and arm.
"He made a deliberate attempt to get over the fence, this wasn't an accident," Breheny said.
At about 3 p.m. Friday, officials say Villalobos was on the zoo's Wild Asia monorail in the last car by himself.
Then at the tiger exhibit, he jumped 17 feet and cleared the fences.
For 10 minutes, the 25-year-old was on the ground in the pen with the tiger until zoo emergency teams and the NYPD could get to the exhibit and with a fire extinguisher distract the tiger.
While officials know what happened they are still trying to determine why it happened.
Why did Villalobos do it? Was it a suicide attempt?
At his family's home in Mahopac his sister refused to go on camera and neighbors are grasping for answers as well.
The tiger is expected to be back in the exhibit perhaps as early as Saturday.
Villalobos will remain hospitalized at Jacobi Medical Center where he is listed in stable condition.
Zoo officials say the outcome come could have been dramatically different.
"We did not have to use deadly force but we were prepared to if we had to," Breheny said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, animals, new york news, jeff pegues
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 43 min ago
- Demolition to begin at Edison school gutted by fire 33 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 57 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos