New York News
Elderly pedestrian killed when car jumps curb
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A family is in mourning after a beloved husband and father's split-second decision saved his wife's life but cost him his own.
The incident happened during a chain-reaction accident around 10:30 p.m. Saturday on the Upper East Side.
Denise and Rubin Baum met four decades ago while they were both hailing a cab and ended up getting the same one. That's what they were trying to do this weekend when things turned tragic.
"Within two seconds, my world disappeared," Denise Baum said.
The Baums were trying to hail a cab on Park Avenue and 59th Street when a two-car collision sent one of the vehicles flying right at them.
"Boom, I turned around," witness Terry Hill sad. "The car was coming. And it his the lady and the man on the corner."
The widow clutched her husband's medals from the Korean War as she recalled his last heroic act, pushing her out of harm's way.
"I believe that he shoved me, and I remember going in the air," she said.
Denise, 62, suffered bruises from head to toe, but 80-year-old Rubin was killed when the car ran directly over him.
The diehard Giants fan was a devoted husband and father of two. He received two Purple Hearts for his valor and heroism during the Korean War.
"He was a wonderful human being," son Shepherd Baum said. "He was a wonderful person, and a hero. His last act was to save my mom's life so I wouldn't lose both my parents."
Denise Baum said she will meet with detectives Monday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east side, pedestrian struck, accident, new york news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 58 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket 21 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures