New York News
2 bus drivers attacked in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A passenger, apparently armed with a sharp object possibly a syringe, stabbed one bus driver in one of two incidents in Brooklyn on Monday.
Police released a composite sketch of a suspect. An MTA bus driver says that the sketch is of the man who stabbed him with a syringe on Monday.
The driver's mother waited for her wounded and frightened son to return home.
At 11 o'clock Monday morning 30-year-old Mark Anthony Salandy was operating the B68 bus by Prospect Park when he stopped to let the passenger off.
Eyewitness News is told that's when he felt the nasty sting in his shoulder.
Worse yet, just minutes after this attack a female driver on a B35 bus was assaulted by a female rider.
Last Thursday, in the Bronx, 53-year-old Nelson Diaz was savagely beaten by a passenger trying to beat the fare.
In response, the MTA reports they have installed 650 cameras and another 650 partitions on busses so far.
And according to the chairman, "We will also be doubling the number of our eagle team (NYC Transit Security) to patrol busses and work in tandem with the NYPD."
The union complains the MTA is moving much too slowly in protecting their drivers.
Meanwhile, police are still looking for the syringe attacker and the other recent dangerous passengers.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, stabbing, mta, new york news, lucy yang
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken 15 min ago
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 12 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos