New York News
New York City expanding pre-K in struggling areas
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City is expanding early education opportunities for children in struggling neighborhoods.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott announced plans to add 4,000 pre-kindergarten seats next fall.
Most the new classes will be in communities where participation in pre-K programs are low.
City officials say the additions should also alleviate the fierce competition for placement in pre-K programs.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Rally held after West Village hate crime murder
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Lee Goldberg explains Oklahoma's tornado...
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Muggy
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos