New York News
Off-duty cop charged with DUI after Queens crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty NYPD officer is accused of driving drunk after she allegedly hit several parked cars in Queens early Tuesday morning.
Police say 38-year-old Meenawatti Chandrekha lost control of her vehicle in the Ozone Park section just after 3 a.m.
Her vehicle struck at least four cars parked on the street.
Authorities say she then fled the scene, but neighbors who heard the commotion had come outside to see what had happened.
"We were trying to stop her and she said, 'Oh, don't worry, I'm a police officer,'" eyewitness Lalita Munesser said. "I thought she was lying. But then she put her badge and stuck it on the window. And everything happened when she's running away."
Chandrekha is charged with DWI and leaving the scene of an accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, ozone park, police officer arrested, drunk driving, accident, new york news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos