New York News
Off-duty cop charged with DUI after Queens crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty NYPD officer is accused of driving drunk after she allegedly hit several parked cars in Queens early Tuesday morning.
Police say 38-year-old Meenawatti Chandrekha lost control of her vehicle in the Ozone Park section just after 3 a.m.
Her vehicle struck at least four cars parked on the street.
Authorities say she then fled the scene, but neighbors who heard the commotion had come outside to see what had happened.
"We were trying to stop her and she said, 'Oh, don't worry, I'm a police officer,'" eyewitness Lalita Munesser said. "I thought she was lying. But then she put her badge and stuck it on the window. And everything happened when she's running away."
Chandrekha is charged with DWI and leaving the scene of an accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, ozone park, police officer arrested, drunk driving, accident, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 9 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall