New York News
Police shoot knife-wielding man in Harlem
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in Harlem that left an emotionally-disturbed man dead.
Officers reportedly shot the knife-wielding 28-year-old after several attempts to subdue him failed and he apparently slashed them with the weapon.
The incident began when the man's mother called 911 because he had grabbed the knife and locked himself in the apartment. She had been visiting him from Guinea to celebrate his birthday, which was just days away.
When police arrived at the apartment on Morningside Avenue near West 124th Street around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, they say Mohamed Bah was still locked inside. They put a camera underneath the door to get a view of the inside of the apartment, but they say Bah grabbed the camera, then came out waving the 12-inch kitchen knife.
When he would not drop the weapon, authorities say officers used a taser on him. When that had no effect, they reportedly shot him with a rubber bullet and tased him again. Still, they say he was able to charge at officers and slash two of them in their bullet-resistant vests.
The officers were unhurt, but fearing that Bah may strike again, they shot him. He was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police remain at the scene investigating the incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, police shooting, new york news, marci gonzalez
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 22 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 36 min ago
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 11 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 28 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25 36 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos