New York News
Police shoot knife-wielding man in Harlem
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in Harlem that left an emotionally-disturbed man dead.
Officers reportedly shot the knife-wielding 28-year-old after several attempts to subdue him failed and he apparently slashed them with the weapon.
The incident began when the man's mother called 911 because he had grabbed the knife and locked himself in the apartment. She had been visiting him from Guinea to celebrate his birthday, which was just days away.
When police arrived at the apartment on Morningside Avenue near West 124th Street around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, they say Mohamed Bah was still locked inside. They put a camera underneath the door to get a view of the inside of the apartment, but they say Bah grabbed the camera, then came out waving the 12-inch kitchen knife.
When he would not drop the weapon, authorities say officers used a taser on him. When that had no effect, they reportedly shot him with a rubber bullet and tased him again. Still, they say he was able to charge at officers and slash two of them in their bullet-resistant vests.
The officers were unhurt, but fearing that Bah may strike again, they shot him. He was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police remain at the scene investigating the incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, police shooting, new york news, marci gonzalez
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 58 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera 34 min ago
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer 20 min ago
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
58 min ago