New York News
Security scare causes brief evacuation at JFK
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Travelers were briefly evacuated from the customs area at Terminal 4 at JFK Airport after officials discovered what appeared to be a grenade found in a traveler's bag.
According to officials, a passenger was going through customs when what looked like a grenade was found in his bag.
He told officials that it was inert, but as a precaution, the customs area was evacuated and the grenade is being inspected.
It was later determined that the grenade was actually a paperweight.
The traveler arrived on a flight that originated in Moscow, officials said.
The paperweight was purchased in Israel on a stopover, the FBI said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos