New York News
Security scare causes brief evacuation at JFK
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Travelers were briefly evacuated from the customs area at Terminal 4 at JFK Airport after officials discovered what appeared to be a grenade found in a traveler's bag.
According to officials, a passenger was going through customs when what looked like a grenade was found in his bag.
He told officials that it was inert, but as a precaution, the customs area was evacuated and the grenade is being inspected.
It was later determined that the grenade was actually a paperweight.
The traveler arrived on a flight that originated in Moscow, officials said.
The paperweight was purchased in Israel on a stopover, the FBI said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Worker trapped in waist-deep mud in Queens trench 26 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- 2 dead in double shootingi in NJ doctor's office
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA