New York News
Security scare causes brief evacuation at JFK
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Travelers were briefly evacuated from the customs area at Terminal 4 at JFK Airport after officials discovered what appeared to be a grenade found in a traveler's bag.
According to officials, a passenger was going through customs when what looked like a grenade was found in his bag.
He told officials that it was inert, but as a precaution, the customs area was evacuated and the grenade is being inspected.
It was later determined that the grenade was actually a paperweight.
The traveler arrived on a flight that originated in Moscow, officials said.
The paperweight was purchased in Israel on a stopover, the FBI said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 52 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 53 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 14 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 1 min ago
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos