New York News
Former Governor David Paterson and wife split
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Former New York Gov. David Paterson and his wife have separated.
The split between the Democratic politician and wife Michelle Paige Paterson was first reported Saturday by the New York Post. Paterson representative Sean Darcy says the couple's decision was "mutual and amicable."
The couple's relationship was in the public eye from the day he took office in 2008. He immediately admitted one affair in an interview and the next day appeared at a press conference with his wife, where both admitted having affairs at a time when their marriage was heading toward divorce.
The revelations followed on the heels of the sex scandal that felled Paterson's predecessor. Democratic Gov. Eliot Spitzer resigned from office after he was accused of spending thousands of dollars on high-end prostitutes.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, david paterson, new york state politics, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 11 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 12 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation