New York News
Police investigate boy's fatal fall in the Bronx
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Investigators are looking into a 3-year old boy's fatal fall from a Bronx apartment window.
Police will not say whether the death of Gabriel Estevez' was accidental or criminal.
The boy fell from a 4th floor window Saturday on East 161st Street in the Concourse Village section.
The apartment where he fell wasn't where the Estevez family lived, but a super's apartment.
It's still not clear what the boy was doing there, or who he was with.
A memorial has been set up outside the building, as family and friends lean on each other and doing whatever they can to cope.
"He was screaming, hanging out the window on the fourth floor," said witness Frank Wright, "We seen him so we tried to run across the street, but there was traffic so we tried to get by the cars so we could catch him just in case he falls."
However, Frank Wright was too late. The three-year-old fell nearly 40 feet and landed on the grass below.
"We took the grass out of his mouth and gave him mouth to mouth," Wright added.
Gabriel was rushed to Lincoln Hospital on Saturday afternoon where he died. Eyewitness News spoke briefly with his father as he left the Morrisania Apartments.
Gabriel's father, Fermine Estevez said he didn't know what happened, but said his boy was special.
Gabriel was a special child who was loved - you can see it in the notes, teddy bears and balloons that were left at a memorial outside the building, all things that a child would adore.
"I feel distraught," said Gabriel's uncle, Jose Rodriguez Estevez, "I got along with him, and I'm saddened."
Witnesses say Gabriel's mother rushed outside and was with her son, who was breathing when they put him in the ambulance.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, child death, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 22 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 25 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos