New York News
Brooklyn car dealer to repay victims of fraudulent sales
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The owner of four Brooklyn car dealerships has been ordered to pay restitution to his customers for deceptive and fraudulent sales practices.
The dealer must pay almost them $300,000 for practices that included adding unwanted aftermarket items and pressuring customers into signing blank contracts.
State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says the victims were left with ruined credit reports, or car options they never chose.
In a statement released Sunday, the prosecutor says customers were duped into buying vehicles after terms of the sales and financing were misrepresented.
A Brooklyn state Supreme Court judge ordered Brooklyn dealer John Giuffre (JOO'-fray) and his dealerships Giuffre Hyundai, Giuffre Kia, Giuffre Mitsubishi and Giuffre Mazda to pay $294,500 in restitution to 46 consumers, plus more than $200,000 in civil penalties and costs.
The dealer did not immediately return a call for comment.
The action was brought against the Giuffre dealerships after the Attorney General's office received complaints from numerous consumers and conducted an investigation into the dealership's practices.
"This order is a victory for consumers who were ripped off by Giuffre car dealerships," said Schneiderman. "My office will continue to aggressively monitor business practices of dealerships around the state to ensure they comply with the laws designed to keep the auto market honest and maintain a level playing field for consumers."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bay ridge, fraud, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 33 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 17 min ago
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos