New York News
Woman leaves hospital, found with bruises
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 69-year-old woman who walked away from a hospital is demanding answers.
Patricia Brown was found two miles away with some severe bruises.
"It was horrible. No one should ever see their mother in that condition," said Peter Brown, Patricia's son.
More than five hours after she'd disappeared from Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, her son found her with her eyes swollen, nose bleeding, and face and body bruised.
No one could say why.
"They said maybe she fell down, I asked a nurse and they told me there was an indication that someone put their hands on her by the bruises on her face. But nobody's telling me anything," Brown said.
In fact, the hospital would only tell Eyewitness News "no comment" because of patient privacy regulations.
What Eyewitness News does know is that 69-year-old Patricia Brown, a former social worker who suffers from dementia, was seen walking out of the hospital last Friday on security camera video.
Hours later, she was found nearly two miles away near the intersection of Boston and Eastchester Roads, appearing to have been beaten up.
EMS technicians took her back to Montefiore where she remains.
City Councilman James Vacca is now working with the family to help find an assisted living facility for her.
"When I saw the pictures, it was devastating. I've know Pat Brown for 35 years. I go back with her. I know what she's done for senior citizens in this neighborhood," Vacca said.
Peter Brown, meanwhile, says the hospital continues to offer no explanation or apology.
"All I want is for them to treat my mother with respect and dignity, the same way she treated people," Brown said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall