New York News
Woman leaves hospital, found with bruises
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 69-year-old woman who walked away from a hospital is demanding answers.
Patricia Brown was found two miles away with some severe bruises.
"It was horrible. No one should ever see their mother in that condition," said Peter Brown, Patricia's son.
More than five hours after she'd disappeared from Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, her son found her with her eyes swollen, nose bleeding, and face and body bruised.
No one could say why.
"They said maybe she fell down, I asked a nurse and they told me there was an indication that someone put their hands on her by the bruises on her face. But nobody's telling me anything," Brown said.
In fact, the hospital would only tell Eyewitness News "no comment" because of patient privacy regulations.
What Eyewitness News does know is that 69-year-old Patricia Brown, a former social worker who suffers from dementia, was seen walking out of the hospital last Friday on security camera video.
Hours later, she was found nearly two miles away near the intersection of Boston and Eastchester Roads, appearing to have been beaten up.
EMS technicians took her back to Montefiore where she remains.
City Councilman James Vacca is now working with the family to help find an assisted living facility for her.
"When I saw the pictures, it was devastating. I've know Pat Brown for 35 years. I go back with her. I know what she's done for senior citizens in this neighborhood," Vacca said.
Peter Brown, meanwhile, says the hospital continues to offer no explanation or apology.
"All I want is for them to treat my mother with respect and dignity, the same way she treated people," Brown said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed 33 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery 36 min ago
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 56 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Hospital warns of possible blood...
38 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick...
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
21 min ago
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and...
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos