New York News
Woman leaves hospital, found with bruises
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 69-year-old woman who walked away from a hospital is demanding answers.
Patricia Brown was found two miles away with some severe bruises.
"It was horrible. No one should ever see their mother in that condition," said Peter Brown, Patricia's son.
More than five hours after she'd disappeared from Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, her son found her with her eyes swollen, nose bleeding, and face and body bruised.
No one could say why.
"They said maybe she fell down, I asked a nurse and they told me there was an indication that someone put their hands on her by the bruises on her face. But nobody's telling me anything," Brown said.
In fact, the hospital would only tell Eyewitness News "no comment" because of patient privacy regulations.
What Eyewitness News does know is that 69-year-old Patricia Brown, a former social worker who suffers from dementia, was seen walking out of the hospital last Friday on security camera video.
Hours later, she was found nearly two miles away near the intersection of Boston and Eastchester Roads, appearing to have been beaten up.
EMS technicians took her back to Montefiore where she remains.
City Councilman James Vacca is now working with the family to help find an assisted living facility for her.
"When I saw the pictures, it was devastating. I've know Pat Brown for 35 years. I go back with her. I know what she's done for senior citizens in this neighborhood," Vacca said.
Peter Brown, meanwhile, says the hospital continues to offer no explanation or apology.
"All I want is for them to treat my mother with respect and dignity, the same way she treated people," Brown said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children 39 min ago
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 38 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos