New York News
Teen fatally shot trying to break up fight
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teenager who was about to enlist in the Navy was shot and killed trying to break up a fight in the Bronx Monday night.
Police say 19-year-old Victor Maldonado intervened after the broke out between two girls because one of them didn't thank the other for opening a door.
While he was trying to play peacemaker, police say one of the girl's brother fatally shot him. Now, 34-year-old DeShawn Coleman is being charged with murder in the case.
There was strength in numbers for Maldonado's family and friends Tuesday night. They gathered in the Bronx, comforting each other and trying to make sense of the violence that claimed his promising life.
His sister is devastated.
"It''s just wrong," Nayiliana Dejesus said. "It didn't have to become murder."
Maldonado planned to enlist in the Navy in a few months.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, shooting, new york news, jeff pegues
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 52 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded 30 min ago
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring 11 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
30 min ago
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
52 min ago