New York News
Vigil held to remember Danny Chen
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family and friends of a soldier who took his own life after being tormented by his platoon gathered for a vigil one year after his death.
It was held Wednesday night in Union Square for Private Danny Chen.
The 19-year-old from Chinatown committed suicide one year ago, after being abused by his fellow soldiers.
His mother was there to remember her son and to thank everyone for their support.
"She's very thankful for everyone. If it wasn't for everyone's support she would not be able to be as strong as she is today," a translator said for his mother.
Five soldiers have been convicted on charges including hazing, racial taunting and assault.
Three more soldiers are awaiting trial.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, chinatown, daniel chen, new york news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport 48 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday