New York News
Vigil held to remember Danny Chen
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family and friends of a soldier who took his own life after being tormented by his platoon gathered for a vigil one year after his death.
It was held Wednesday night in Union Square for Private Danny Chen.
The 19-year-old from Chinatown committed suicide one year ago, after being abused by his fellow soldiers.
His mother was there to remember her son and to thank everyone for their support.
"She's very thankful for everyone. If it wasn't for everyone's support she would not be able to be as strong as she is today," a translator said for his mother.
Five soldiers have been convicted on charges including hazing, racial taunting and assault.
Three more soldiers are awaiting trial.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, chinatown, daniel chen, new york news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 33 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 27 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 9 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos