New York News
Vigil held to remember Danny Chen
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family and friends of a soldier who took his own life after being tormented by his platoon gathered for a vigil one year after his death.
It was held Wednesday night in Union Square for Private Danny Chen.
The 19-year-old from Chinatown committed suicide one year ago, after being abused by his fellow soldiers.
His mother was there to remember her son and to thank everyone for their support.
"She's very thankful for everyone. If it wasn't for everyone's support she would not be able to be as strong as she is today," a translator said for his mother.
Five soldiers have been convicted on charges including hazing, racial taunting and assault.
Three more soldiers are awaiting trial.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, chinatown, daniel chen, new york news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 54 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 54 min ago
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner 23 min ago
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 52 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K 13 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
54 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
54 min ago
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD...
23 min ago