New York News
Correction officer caught smuggling drugs into Rikers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City correction officer is under arrest, facing charges for allegedly smuggling drugs into Rikers Island.
The suspect has been identified as Lashar Williams, who has been with the Department of Corrections since 1999.
The 38-year-old is accused of dealing marijuana and other drugs to inmates.
He is now suspended without pay from his $76,000-a-year job.
Williams faces up to 11 years in prison if convicted.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, rikers island, drug, new york news
- At least 2 dead, 18 hurt in East Harlem explosion 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 14 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase