New York News
Correction officer caught smuggling drugs into Rikers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City correction officer is under arrest, facing charges for allegedly smuggling drugs into Rikers Island.
The suspect has been identified as Lashar Williams, who has been with the Department of Corrections since 1999.
The 38-year-old is accused of dealing marijuana and other drugs to inmates.
He is now suspended without pay from his $76,000-a-year job.
Williams faces up to 11 years in prison if convicted.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, rikers island, drug, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 59 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 30 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 32 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
30 min ago