New York News
Sharpton meets with mother of NYPD shooting victim
NEW YORK -- The Rev. Al Sharpton is promising to support the mother of a national guardsman shot to death by a New York City police officer.
Sharpton hugged Cecilia Reyes during an appearance Saturday at his Harlem headquarters. He said it's "unthinkable for a mother to have to bury her child."
Reyes' son Noel Polanco was shot Thursday after police pulled him over for a traffic violation near LaGuardia Airport.
The 22-year-old was unarmed.
Police have offered no explanation for why a detective fired after approaching the car.
Sharpton said that "for unarmed innocent people to be killed is wrong and it's got to stop."
Reyes called her son "a great kid." She said he had hoped to be placed on active duty in the Army and then join the Police Department.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, al sharpton, queens, police shooting, new york news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 12 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos