New York News
Sharpton meets with mother of NYPD shooting victim
NEW YORK -- The Rev. Al Sharpton is promising to support the mother of a national guardsman shot to death by a New York City police officer.
Sharpton hugged Cecilia Reyes during an appearance Saturday at his Harlem headquarters. He said it's "unthinkable for a mother to have to bury her child."
Reyes' son Noel Polanco was shot Thursday after police pulled him over for a traffic violation near LaGuardia Airport.
The 22-year-old was unarmed.
Police have offered no explanation for why a detective fired after approaching the car.
Sharpton said that "for unarmed innocent people to be killed is wrong and it's got to stop."
Reyes called her son "a great kid." She said he had hoped to be placed on active duty in the Army and then join the Police Department.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, al sharpton, queens, police shooting, new york news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 55 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 52 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 1 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
31 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
52 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos