New York News
Sharpton meets with mother of NYPD shooting victim
NEW YORK -- The Rev. Al Sharpton is promising to support the mother of a national guardsman shot to death by a New York City police officer.
Sharpton hugged Cecilia Reyes during an appearance Saturday at his Harlem headquarters. He said it's "unthinkable for a mother to have to bury her child."
Reyes' son Noel Polanco was shot Thursday after police pulled him over for a traffic violation near LaGuardia Airport.
The 22-year-old was unarmed.
Police have offered no explanation for why a detective fired after approaching the car.
Sharpton said that "for unarmed innocent people to be killed is wrong and it's got to stop."
Reyes called her son "a great kid." She said he had hoped to be placed on active duty in the Army and then join the Police Department.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, al sharpton, queens, police shooting, new york news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 20 min ago
- Demolition to begin at Edison school gutted by fire 10 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 34 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos