New York News
Sharpton meets with mother of NYPD shooting victim
NEW YORK -- The Rev. Al Sharpton is promising to support the mother of a national guardsman shot to death by a New York City police officer.
Sharpton hugged Cecilia Reyes during an appearance Saturday at his Harlem headquarters. He said it's "unthinkable for a mother to have to bury her child."
Reyes' son Noel Polanco was shot Thursday after police pulled him over for a traffic violation near LaGuardia Airport.
The 22-year-old was unarmed.
Police have offered no explanation for why a detective fired after approaching the car.
Sharpton said that "for unarmed innocent people to be killed is wrong and it's got to stop."
Reyes called her son "a great kid." She said he had hoped to be placed on active duty in the Army and then join the Police Department.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, al sharpton, queens, police shooting, new york news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Tornado touched down near Copake
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City 41 min ago
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Crews race to find survivors after Oklahoma...
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos