New York News
Youth soccer coach found fatally slashed
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 25-year-old man is dead after a grisly slashing near Union Square.
Investigators say Michael Jones was killed outside of Clay Health Club and Spa just before 4:30 on Sunday morning after he was stabbed in the chest and neck.
All of the businesses in the area were closed at the time, but when workers arrived hours later, they were met by the disturbing scene.
"I didn't know until I got really close. I told them where I work and I saw blood," said Clay Health Club Employee Egon Ogun.
Friends tell Eyewitness News that Jones came from Great Britain about 5 years ago to work as a youth soccer coach for the New York Red Bulls. The organization released a statement saying, "he was a fantastic coach who loved soccer and a terrific friend for many of us. This is truly a sad day for our soccer community and we will do our utmost to help authorities in their investigation of this case. Our thoughts and prayers are with Michael's family at this time."
After investigating surveillance video, police have a vague description of the suspect - they say he is a Hispanic male between the ages of 25-30 with a dark ponytail.
Sources are saying it does not look like robbery was the motive, because the Jones' iPhone was found near the scene.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, stabbing, manhattan, new york news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall