New York News
Youth soccer coach found fatally slashed
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 25-year-old man is dead after a grisly slashing near Union Square.
Investigators say Michael Jones was killed outside of Clay Health Club and Spa just before 4:30 on Sunday morning after he was stabbed in the chest and neck.
All of the businesses in the area were closed at the time, but when workers arrived hours later, they were met by the disturbing scene.
"I didn't know until I got really close. I told them where I work and I saw blood," said Clay Health Club Employee Egon Ogun.
Friends tell Eyewitness News that Jones came from Great Britain about 5 years ago to work as a youth soccer coach for the New York Red Bulls. The organization released a statement saying, "he was a fantastic coach who loved soccer and a terrific friend for many of us. This is truly a sad day for our soccer community and we will do our utmost to help authorities in their investigation of this case. Our thoughts and prayers are with Michael's family at this time."
After investigating surveillance video, police have a vague description of the suspect - they say he is a Hispanic male between the ages of 25-30 with a dark ponytail.
Sources are saying it does not look like robbery was the motive, because the Jones' iPhone was found near the scene.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, stabbing, manhattan, new york news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos