New York News
Metro Cards will now include advertising
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York's transit agency is introducing MetroCards with a new look.
Starting Sunday, some MetroCards sold at New York City subway stations will sport advertising on the front of the card.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says the MetroCards are the first in more than 15 years to feature anything other than the familiar gold design with blue lettering spelling "MetroCard."
The ad appearing on the new cards was purchased by the Gap and reads: "Be Bright NYC." The cards with Gap ads will be sold at 10 Manhattan subway stations.
MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota said the agency will monitor public acceptance of the advertising to ensure that it doesn't "interfere with use of the transit system."
Lhota said the MTA must put every resource it can toward bolstering its finances.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, mta, mass transit, subway, new york news
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Sunday snow storm
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Bus driver suffers medical emergency, 2 injured
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey