New York News
Funeral held for murdered soccer coach
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Friends, family, and soccer students remembered their youth coach in a funeral Wednesday.
It was a tough day indeed.
Tears were shed by adults and by children.
Youngsters who instead of joyfully running and kicking a ball came to mourn the loss of a beloved coach.
It was an emotional goodbye to Mike Jones who was stabbed to death last weekend.
Jones worked for the New York Red Bulls as a youth coach.
He was known as "Jonesy" which was worn in tribute on the backs specially made jerseys.
For the last five years, the Liverpool native not only coached but taught the game of soccer to kids in Armonk and at a summer camp in Connecticut.
Police say the 25-year-old was attacked by the man in a surveillance video who they identify as Orlando Orea.
The brutal killing may have been a case of mistaken identity, something that has devastated his family back in England.
"It's unbelievable. It's like you feel it didn't happen, you're going to wake up and it's all a dream, like you can wind the clock back," said Perry Jones, Mike's father.
According to police, the suspect bought a one-way ticket to Mexico City just hours before he was put on a no-fly list.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, stabbing, manhattan, union square, murder, new york news, marcus solis
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens 31 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade 16 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian...
31 min ago
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
33 min ago