New York News
Police shoot alleged car thief in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A police chase ended with officers shooting the suspect after they say he fired upon them in Brooklyn.
Police say 29 year old Dahanj Sam was driving a stolen SUV with North Carolina plates when police attempted to pull him over. He allegedly ditched the stolen Saturn around midnight in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, and then tried to flee on foot.
As he was climbing a chain link fence near a public housing complex, he tripped. Fearing the slip would allow two pursuing officers to catch up, he fired twice at them from about four feet away, police said.
The two officers were not hit and returned fire. A 48-year-old detective sergeant fired seven times. A 38-year-old officer fired twice.
Authorities said Sam sustained nine entry or exit wounds. He is in critical but stable condition at Bellevue Hospital
Neither officer was injured. Both have been involved in previous shootings, officials said. The detective sergeant was in a 1992 shootout in Queens, where no one was hit. The officer shot a dog that attacked him in Brooklyn.
Sam has seven prior arrests, including assault in 2011 and criminal sale of a controlled substance in July. He was charged with a stabbing in Pennsylvania in 2001 and served seven years in prison.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, police shooting, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
22 min ago