New York News
NYPD shooting victim laid to rest
NEW YORK -- A National Guardsman shot to death by an NYPD detective was remembered at a funeral in Queens.
The Rev. Al Sharpton delivered the eulogy at Friday's funeral for 22-year-old Noel Polanco.
Polanco was unarmed when he was shot Oct. 4 after police pulled him over for a traffic violation near LaGuardia Airport.
A lawyer for the detective who shot Polanco has said that Polanco did not comply with the detective's orders to put his hands up. The lawyer said Polanco reached for something under his seat. A front-seat passenger in Polanco's car has disputed that account.
Polanco's mother, Cecilia Reyes, met with Queens District Attorney Richard Brown on Thursday. Brown said he told Reyes that he expects to present the case to a grand jury.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, police shooting, new york news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos