New York News
NYPD shooting victim laid to rest
NEW YORK -- A National Guardsman shot to death by an NYPD detective was remembered at a funeral in Queens.
The Rev. Al Sharpton delivered the eulogy at Friday's funeral for 22-year-old Noel Polanco.
Polanco was unarmed when he was shot Oct. 4 after police pulled him over for a traffic violation near LaGuardia Airport.
A lawyer for the detective who shot Polanco has said that Polanco did not comply with the detective's orders to put his hands up. The lawyer said Polanco reached for something under his seat. A front-seat passenger in Polanco's car has disputed that account.
Polanco's mother, Cecilia Reyes, met with Queens District Attorney Richard Brown on Thursday. Brown said he told Reyes that he expects to present the case to a grand jury.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, police shooting, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees