New York News
Immigrant banned from high school football team
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Although he helps out at practice for the Dewitt Clinton High School team, 19-year-old Ashton McKenzie is banned from playing football.
"This could have been a year for me to go to college. I have a lot of colleges from all over come look at me. But I can't do what I want to do because I can't play football," said Ashton McKenzie, a student athlete.
Ashton was crucial to his high school team.
"He played fullback for us, he also played inside linebacker, he was the best punter in the league, kick-off guy, whatever we needed he was able to do it," said Howard Langley, Dewitt Clinton coach.
Ashton immigrated to New York with his family, from Jamaica, in 2002.
He "aged-out" of football eligibility, because he was twice forced to repeat third grade, after failing exams in English Language Arts.
"When he was In Jamaica, he wasn't speaking English, mostly, he was speaking Patois, which is a combination of several African languages and English, and so he wasn't understanding the teachers," said Bernard DuFresne, of Advocates for Children.
Ashton is now represented by the not-for-profit, Advocates for Children, which argued for a waiver from the public school athletic league.
They told officials that Ashton was unfairly held back in third grade.
"And according to the chancellors regulations at the time, as an English language learner, he should have been exempt from taking the English Language Arts exam," DuFresne said.
In a statement to Eyewitness News, for the P.S.A.L., said, "Safety is a top priority in the PSAL, and for safety reasons, we do not waive the age eligibility rule. We set age limits because it could be dangerous, for example, for a 19-year-old student to tackle a 16- or 17-year-old student."
"Somebody tells you that you can't play, it hurts," McKenzie said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, student, new york news, art mcfarland
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 58 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos