New York News
Man beaten by police, caught on camera
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The beating of a man by police was caught on camera, and officials are calling for justice for the man.
The beating went on for several minutes, with police officers using their fists, batons, and pepper spray all to subdue one man.
The video begins with two officers approaching a sleeping man at the Alternative Learning Institute for young adults in Crown Heights last Monday.
One officer winds up and punches the 21 year old multiple times.
Moments later, the other officers swings her nightstick.
You can't hear what's said, but it doesn't make it any less painful for members of the youth center to watch.
"It was extremely troubling. It hurt my heart to watch," said Moishe Feiglin, Aliya's Rabbi.
Assemblyman Dov Hikind and nearly a dozen city and state leaders are calling for an investigation.
In a statement, NYPD spokesperson Paul Browne explains: "Police responded to a call of a dispute inside of a synagogue's outreach center in Brooklyn, where a man refused to vacate the women's portion of the center. The officers used force to affect the arrest, in which Ehud Haleavy was charged with assault, trespass, resisting arrest, and harassment."
The Internal Affairs Bureau is investigating and has referred the case to the Civilian Complaint Review Board.
But the facility's rabbi says Haleavy was allowed to spend the night there and that someone called the police by accident.
It's a misunderstanding some believe never should have escalated to this.
"Now I wonder how many other times are New Yorkers charged with serious crimes and there's no video camera to tell the story?" Hikind said.
"I want the charges dismissed immediately. I want a full and complete investigation and want these officers off the force," Council member Tish James said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police brutality, crown heights, new york news, carolina leid
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 59 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 41 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos