New York News
Man training for marathon uses running to control anger
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Tyric Cuff doesn't believe in excuses; he only believes in hard work.
"You have to apply yourself every day and it takes a great level of discipline," Cuff says, "If you want it that bad, you'll do it."
The 25-year-old Brooklyn man grew up in six different foster care homes, and is currently training for the New York City Marathon.
"It controls my anger. I used to get very impatient. I didn't have a great level of tolerance and patience growing up," Cuff says.
Cuff finished the marathon last year, but this year he is training even harder.
Last year, Cuff says that when he hit Queens, he "hit the wall" - his thigh muscles and calf muscles tightened up. "It's not as easy as people think," Cuff adds.
David Kamnitzer is the Senior Vice President at the Institute for Community Living, where he works with Cuff. Together, they are are taking therapy one stride at a time.
"When you're dealing with someone with a history of mental illness and trauma and abandonment, what's most important is to appreciate the importance of trust," said Kamnitzer, "for he and I, it was about building that." Cuff now helps younger children - he says that running is a way to show them that there are no limits. Cuff has raised nearly $1,000. The bad news is, he needs $2,500.
To learn more, or to support Cuff or another member of TEAM ICL, please visit their C rowdrise page by clicking HERE.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york city marathon, new york news, carolina leid
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 43 min ago
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company 58 min ago
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
16 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos