New York News
Solar trash cans tested out in Manhattan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Manhattan's trash cans are getting a high-tech makeover.
Five solar powered compacting trash bins have been installed across Lower Manhattan.
They're part of a new pilot program.
The bins have five times the capacity and use solar panels to compact trash resulting in less bagging and trips for pickups.
An electronic sensor alerts sanitation units when the bin is full.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower manhattan, new york news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos