New York News
Solar trash cans tested out in Manhattan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Manhattan's trash cans are getting a high-tech makeover.
Five solar powered compacting trash bins have been installed across Lower Manhattan.
They're part of a new pilot program.
The bins have five times the capacity and use solar panels to compact trash resulting in less bagging and trips for pickups.
An electronic sensor alerts sanitation units when the bin is full.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower manhattan, new york news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos