New York News
Manhunt in double murder ends in apparent suicide
EASTCHESTER (WABC) -- The manhunt for the suspect in the Bronx double murder at a motel apparently came to a deadly end in Miami, Florida.
Authorities say 42-year-old Joseph Kernizan is believed to have killed himself as police closed in on him Tuesday night.
Kernizan is suspected in the murder of 38-year-old Tracy Bennett, his ex-girlfriend, and popular reggae singer Wayne Hamilton outside a Bronx motel about 3:15 a.m. on Saturday.
Hamilton, 50, is also known as Captain Barkey.
Detectives asked for Kernizan to be put on a no-fly list to keep him from fleeing the country and were tracking him. It is believed Kernizan knew authorities were getting close.
NYPD officials are awaiting positive identification of the body from medical officials in Miami-Dade County. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, shooting, new york news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out 38 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring 52 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game'...
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos