New York News
Manhunt in double murder ends in apparent suicide
EASTCHESTER (WABC) -- The manhunt for the suspect in the Bronx double murder at a motel apparently came to a deadly end in Miami, Florida.
Authorities say 42-year-old Joseph Kernizan is believed to have killed himself as police closed in on him Tuesday night.
Kernizan is suspected in the murder of 38-year-old Tracy Bennett, his ex-girlfriend, and popular reggae singer Wayne Hamilton outside a Bronx motel about 3:15 a.m. on Saturday.
Hamilton, 50, is also known as Captain Barkey.
Detectives asked for Kernizan to be put on a no-fly list to keep him from fleeing the country and were tracking him. It is believed Kernizan knew authorities were getting close.
NYPD officials are awaiting positive identification of the body from medical officials in Miami-Dade County. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, shooting, new york news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 12 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 32 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 15 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos