New York News
Manhunt in double murder ends in apparent suicide
EASTCHESTER (WABC) -- The manhunt for the suspect in the Bronx double murder at a motel apparently came to a deadly end in Miami, Florida.
Authorities say 42-year-old Joseph Kernizan is believed to have killed himself as police closed in on him Tuesday night.
Kernizan is suspected in the murder of 38-year-old Tracy Bennett, his ex-girlfriend, and popular reggae singer Wayne Hamilton outside a Bronx motel about 3:15 a.m. on Saturday.
Hamilton, 50, is also known as Captain Barkey.
Detectives asked for Kernizan to be put on a no-fly list to keep him from fleeing the country and were tracking him. It is believed Kernizan knew authorities were getting close.
NYPD officials are awaiting positive identification of the body from medical officials in Miami-Dade County. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, shooting, new york news
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday 1 min ago
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos