New York News
Manhunt in double murder ends in apparent suicide
EASTCHESTER (WABC) -- The manhunt for the suspect in the Bronx double murder at a motel apparently came to a deadly end in Miami, Florida.
Authorities say 42-year-old Joseph Kernizan is believed to have killed himself as police closed in on him Tuesday night.
Kernizan is suspected in the murder of 38-year-old Tracy Bennett, his ex-girlfriend, and popular reggae singer Wayne Hamilton outside a Bronx motel about 3:15 a.m. on Saturday.
Hamilton, 50, is also known as Captain Barkey.
Detectives asked for Kernizan to be put on a no-fly list to keep him from fleeing the country and were tracking him. It is believed Kernizan knew authorities were getting close.
NYPD officials are awaiting positive identification of the body from medical officials in Miami-Dade County. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, shooting, new york news
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 27 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos