New York News
Police union calls Jewish center beating 'justified'
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are new developments in a beating that was caught on camera.
Two NYPD officers were caught beating a man at a Jewish center in Brooklyn.
In the videotape, there is clearly a confrontation.
His attorneys say 21 year-old Ehud Haleavy is telling the officers that he had a right to be sleeping on the couch of the Jewish youth center where he was being counseled.
Suddenly, one of the officers puts-up his fists and pummels Haleavy like a prizefighter.
Landing, by one count, more than 20 punches, while his partner, a woman., beats him with her baton.
Late Wednesday afternoon, the president of the city's police union told Eyewitness News the officers were justified.
"Using force always appears to be severe but is necessary to arrest a culprit who resists," he said. "The officer must use force to gain compliance and handcuff the offender. In this case, it is clear from the video that when the officer attempted to take the culprit's arm he resisted by twisting and turning away."
Haleavy was not seriously injured, but the officers charged him with assaulting them.
The rabbis who run the center say that's outrageous.
"As far as you're concerned he didn't need to leave? Police report is wrong?" asked Eyewitness News reporter N.J. Burkett.
"Yes. Absolutely. Totally wrong. Almost every charge is baseless. And even if he was supposed to leave, he wasn't supposed to get such a beating before leaving," the rabbi said.
His attorneys insist the charges should be dropped.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, police abuse allegation, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Young child shot in foot in the Bronx 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break repaired 58 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 34 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 13 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 36 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 8 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
13 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos