New York News
Few answers in fatal stabbing of pregnant woman
NEW YORK -- A pregnant mother of four killed in her New York City apartment the day before her wedding died from slash and stab wounds to her neck, authorities said Sunday.
The death of Vindalee Smith, 38, was ruled a homicide, the city medical examiner's office said in releasing autopsy results. Her unborn child did not survive.
Smith was found on the floor of her home in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn on Saturday. Neighbors said she had moved into the area in recent weeks. Her other children are older and did not live with her.
Police said there was no sign of forced entry, and no weapon was recovered. Investigators were looking for a possible suspect and spoke to Smith's fiance as well as friends and family.
Smith had once feuded with a former neighbor who threatened to kill her, but it was months ago and the trouble had stopped when she moved to the new apartment, the Rev. Ferron Francis told the Daily News.
On Sunday, police tape blocked off the street to keep people away from the brownstone home.
Smith was a devout Seventh-day Adventist and attended New Dimension Church, about half a block from her residence.
The brutal, unexpected death "is tragic, it has broken our hearts," Francis said.
Smith had joined the church about three years ago, said Andrew Connor, a deacon at New Dimension.
"She was dedicated to her family," he said. "She was beautiful and this is very surreal."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east flatbush, brooklyn, new york news
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 15 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 4 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 9 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 17 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident