New York News
Homeless shelter proposed near Brooklyn daycare
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's causing quite a stir in Carroll gardens, Brooklyn. A proposed homeless shelter smack in the middle of an up and coming block.
But the reasons for the opposition to the project may surprise you.
The enthusiastic sounds of singing come from the Choo Choo Train day care center on Court Street.
Children ages 3 to 5 start their day surrounded by homemade art, but just down the block on west 9th street, a proposed homeless shelter has the center's owner a bit nervous.
Carroll Gardens is in the midst of a renaissance. High end apartments are becoming the norm, But when the units failed to rent, the owner decided to rent an entire building to the city, and convert it into a homeless shelter. 170 men in a 10 unit building and therein lies the problem.
Residents say they are willing to accept homeless families in the neighborhood, whose children would benefit from good public schools, but feel the facility which was proposed by housing solutions USA, under a 30 day emergency contract rule, is being shoved down their throats.
Borough President Marky Markowicz has received 700 emails on the issue.
The department of homeless services released this statement.
"We are currently reviewing the proposal and will be meeting with the community this week to establish an open dialogue and hear their concerns."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 6 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 9 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos