New York News
Homeless shelter proposed near Brooklyn daycare
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's causing quite a stir in Carroll gardens, Brooklyn. A proposed homeless shelter smack in the middle of an up and coming block.
But the reasons for the opposition to the project may surprise you.
The enthusiastic sounds of singing come from the Choo Choo Train day care center on Court Street.
Children ages 3 to 5 start their day surrounded by homemade art, but just down the block on west 9th street, a proposed homeless shelter has the center's owner a bit nervous.
Carroll Gardens is in the midst of a renaissance. High end apartments are becoming the norm, But when the units failed to rent, the owner decided to rent an entire building to the city, and convert it into a homeless shelter. 170 men in a 10 unit building and therein lies the problem.
Residents say they are willing to accept homeless families in the neighborhood, whose children would benefit from good public schools, but feel the facility which was proposed by housing solutions USA, under a 30 day emergency contract rule, is being shoved down their throats.
Borough President Marky Markowicz has received 700 emails on the issue.
The department of homeless services released this statement.
"We are currently reviewing the proposal and will be meeting with the community this week to establish an open dialogue and hear their concerns."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 43 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 18 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
7 min ago