New York News
Amputee from New York set to run ING NYC Marathon
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Long Island native has become internationally known in the running community for her inspirational story.
Once upon a time, she was the last one to be picked at school for team sports because of her ability.
Now, she's now a marathoner and a tri-athlete.
It's ironic talking to Sarah Reinertsen about running into obstacles. Afterall, her challenge would prevent most people from ever entering a race.
"I had to frame my life in a certain way, I had a choice," she said.
Because of a tissue disease, her leg was amputated when she was seven. Sarah learned to run at the age of 11. And by 21, the NY native who grew up watching the great race every November entered her first NYC Marathon.
"My first was New York and I chose it because I'm from New York. I didn't do it with a special leg" adds Sarah.
Special as in a $36,000 hi-tech running leg that's custom fit. It's made on Long Island close to where the Huntington native grew up.
"I'm still being raised in New York," she adds.
She also has legs for biking and high heels. A fitting combination for an Ironman finisher, yes, the 140-mile, swim bike run race.
"No woman on one leg had done it. That became my throw down. girl with one leg can do that too," adds Sarah.
It's true her can-do, always-tri, nothing is impossible attitude is how she began her first 26.2 mile race. But she says the lessons she gets from a life on the run are as precious as the race itself.
Not surprising she wants a personal best for this race. She's also running for the Challenged Athletes Foundation which funds athletes worldwide who need prosthetic limbs.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york city marathon, new york news, amy freeze
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 11 min ago
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn 15 min ago
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million