New York News
Dad questioned in fatal stabbing, fire that killed baby
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The deaths of a mother and her young baby found in a burning Bronx apartment are now being investigated as a double murder, and police are questioning the child's father.
Firefighters first discovered the 32-year-old mother stabbed to death while battling flames inside the Albany Crescent apartment in the Kingsbridge section. Police say she was found on her bed under a burning mattress.
The woman's 1-month-old baby girl was pulled from the fire and rushed to Montefiore Medical Center, but she later died at the hospital. NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said the child was not stabbed.
Officials say the fire was reported just after 7 p.m. Thursday and was brought under control about a half hour later.
Police believe the fire was set in the apartment to cover up the murder.
The girl's biological father is being questioned at the 50th Precinct in the Bronx. No charges were immediately filed.
The father, believed to be the woman's boyfriend, lived with her until recently.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, kingsbridge, fire, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 8 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus 15 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall