New York News
Dad questioned in fatal stabbing, fire that killed baby
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The deaths of a mother and her young baby found in a burning Bronx apartment are now being investigated as a double murder, and police are questioning the child's father.
Firefighters first discovered the 32-year-old mother stabbed to death while battling flames inside the Albany Crescent apartment in the Kingsbridge section. Police say she was found on her bed under a burning mattress.
The woman's 1-month-old baby girl was pulled from the fire and rushed to Montefiore Medical Center, but she later died at the hospital. NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said the child was not stabbed.
Officials say the fire was reported just after 7 p.m. Thursday and was brought under control about a half hour later.
Police believe the fire was set in the apartment to cover up the murder.
The girl's biological father is being questioned at the 50th Precinct in the Bronx. No charges were immediately filed.
The father, believed to be the woman's boyfriend, lived with her until recently.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, kingsbridge, fire, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 40 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 24 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 2 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos