New York News
Dad questioned in fatal stabbing, fire that killed baby
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The deaths of a mother and her young baby found in a burning Bronx apartment are now being investigated as a double murder, and police are questioning the child's father.
Firefighters first discovered the 32-year-old mother stabbed to death while battling flames inside the Albany Crescent apartment in the Kingsbridge section. Police say she was found on her bed under a burning mattress.
The woman's 1-month-old baby girl was pulled from the fire and rushed to Montefiore Medical Center, but she later died at the hospital. NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said the child was not stabbed.
Officials say the fire was reported just after 7 p.m. Thursday and was brought under control about a half hour later.
Police believe the fire was set in the apartment to cover up the murder.
The girl's biological father is being questioned at the 50th Precinct in the Bronx. No charges were immediately filed.
The father, believed to be the woman's boyfriend, lived with her until recently.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, kingsbridge, fire, new york news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 16 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- ObamaCare signups surpass 8 million mark
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos