New York News
St. John's dean on trial found dead in Queens home
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The former dean of St. John's University on federal trial for stealing money from the school was discovered dead in her Jamaica, Queens, home Tuesday morning.
The death of Cecilia Chang was ruled a non-criminal matter and was being investigated as an apparent suicide.
Chang, the ex-dean of Asian Studies at the Queens campus who allegedly used students as indentured servants, was charged with stealing more than $1 million from the university.
Chang had just taken the stand Monday in her own defense in her federal trial. She insisted that all her transactions on behalf of the university were above board and that she was just trying to help the students.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line 9 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire 19 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures