New York News
St. John's dean on trial found dead in Queens home
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The former dean of St. John's University on federal trial for stealing money from the school was discovered dead in her Jamaica, Queens, home Tuesday morning.
The death of Cecilia Chang was ruled a non-criminal matter and was being investigated as an apparent suicide.
Chang, the ex-dean of Asian Studies at the Queens campus who allegedly used students as indentured servants, was charged with stealing more than $1 million from the university.
Chang had just taken the stand Monday in her own defense in her federal trial. She insisted that all her transactions on behalf of the university were above board and that she was just trying to help the students.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade 26 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos