New York News
St. John's dean on trial found dead in Queens home
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The former dean of St. John's University on federal trial for stealing money from the school was discovered dead in her Jamaica, Queens, home Tuesday morning.
The death of Cecilia Chang was ruled a non-criminal matter and was being investigated as an apparent suicide.
Chang, the ex-dean of Asian Studies at the Queens campus who allegedly used students as indentured servants, was charged with stealing more than $1 million from the university.
Chang had just taken the stand Monday in her own defense in her federal trial. She insisted that all her transactions on behalf of the university were above board and that she was just trying to help the students.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 41 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 54 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos