New York News
2 New York City children die in separate incidents
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two young children have been reported dead in New York City early Wendesday, and two people are being questioned by police.
Crime scene investigators spent hours Wednesday collecting evidence inside 86 West 179th Street.
Cops responded around 1:30 a.m. to a call of an emotionally disturbed man.
Inside, 47-year-old Lorenzo Espinal's apartment, police made a horrible discovery.
A 5-year-old boy was found face down in a bathtub and a 7-year-old girl was violently ill.
Both children were rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital.
Stewart Espinal died on the way, and sources now tell Eyewitness News his sister had been poisoned.
The children lived in a nearby apartment building on Walton Avenue with their mother.
She was reportedly separated from Espinal, but he was still in the picture.
Neighbor Francisco Merrano said he got a phone call from the children's mother Wednesday morning.
"She said, 'The father killed my baby,'" Merrano said.
Meanwhile, in Brooklyn, a 4-year-old girl was discovered dead with head and chest wounds in her crib in East New York.
Her mother says she put Halii McCord to bed and then found her dead in the crib in the morning. She is being interviewed by detectives at the 75th Precinct.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, brooklyn, child killed, new york news
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: More Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young child fatally shot outside Jersey City home
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma