New York News
Man guilty of torching woman, 73, in elevator
NEW YORK -- A New York City man has pleaded guilty to fatally burning an elderly woman inside the elevator of her apartment building.
Prosecutors announced Wednesday that Jerome Isaac had pleaded guilty to first-degree murder, arson and torture in the December 2011 death of Deloris Gillespie in Brooklyn.
The plea bargain calls a sentence of 50 years in prison.
Prosecutors say Isaac attacked the 73-year-old woman because he believed she owed him money. They say he doused her with gasoline, lit her on fire and then threw a firebomb inside the elevator.
The attack was recorded on a security camera.
Isaac is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 30.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 6 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 15 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 45 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
34 min ago