New York News
NYPD officer killed during Sandy laid to rest
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family, friends and colleagues gathered Thursday to say goodbye to a New York City police officer who died after saving others during Superstorm Sandy.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg was among those attending the funeral of Officer Artur Kasprzak, who was laid to rest in Staten Island.
As floodwater surged into his house, the off-duty officer shepherded six adults and a toddler to the attic.
Then he went to check the basement. When he didn't return, one of the women called 911.
Police came quickly with a SCUBA unit, but they couldn't access the home because of power lines that had fallen into the water.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, police officer killed, hurricane sandy, new york news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 1 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 38 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos