New York News
Sandy displaces Flight 587 memorial service
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Because of damage from Hurricane Sandy, a memorial service marking the 11th anniversary of the Flight 587 disaster had to be moved from Queens to the Bronx.
The American Airlines flight was bound for the Dominican Republic on November 12, 2001 when it crashed in Belle Harbor after taking off from John F. Kennedy International Airport.
All 260 on board were killed, as well as five people on the ground.
Many of the passengers were Dominican.
The disaster jarred a city still raw and fearful just two months after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg spake at the memorial service at the Holy Spirit Catholic Church, which is home to one of the city's largest Dominican congregations.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, plane crash, new york news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 59 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 9 min ago
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos