New York News
Mother says baby critically injured at day care
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 10-month-old girl in Brooklyn is in a medically induced coma as investigators try to figure out what happened to her.
The child's mother claims she was a victim of shaken baby syndrome at her day care center.
Josephina Ramos is on a quest for answers.
Specifically, what happened to her baby daughter Khristine inside a Cypress Hills day care center early this month.
"The doctor told me my girl suffered shaken baby syndrome. It was so violent he said her eyes were full of blood and that if she recovered she would be blind," said Josephina Ramos, Khristine's mother.
The 10-month old is in a medically induced coma at Brookdale Hospital Medical Center.
She arrived there by ambulance on November 2, shortly after Ramos picked her up from the day care center.
Workers at the Arlington Avenue center had nothing to say to Eyewitness News or to Ramos' attorney, who has a list of questions for the owner, for the city's Administration for Children's Services, and for police, who launched an investigation but have filed no charges.
Her attorney William Pagan says that on Monday they will be filing a motion to get someone from the day care to appear in court to try and figure out what happened.
An Administration for Children's Services spokesperson told Eyewitness News the agency, along with the NYPD, is looking into what happened to Khristine.
The city Department of Health meantime said it has notified state officials about the baby's injuries.
Any suspension of the day care program would come from Albany.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, baby, child injured, new york news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 26 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
26 min ago