New York News
New York Attorney General launches probe into utilities
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has launched an investigation into the performance of LIPA and Con Edisdon during superstorm Sandy.
According to a source familiar with the probe, Schneiderman has issued subpoenas to LIPA and Con Ed seeking documentation on their preparedness, response and communications before and after the storm.
Schneiderman is looking into whether the companies violated the New York's Public Authorities Law.
It's the second investigation of power companies announced this week. On Tuesday, Governor Cuomo established a commission to examine and recommend reforms of LIPA, NYPA, NYSERDA, and the Public Service Commission.
Unlike the Moreland Commission, Schneiderman can prosecute or fine the utilities. They could even seek damages on behalf of ratepayers, if they find cause to do so.
The Attorney General's investigation began November 5th.
A Con Ed spokesman issued a statement saying "We are cooperating with the Attorney General's request. We look forward to reviewing the company's storm preparations and response with the Attorney General and all interested parties."
LIPA Spokeswoman Elizabeth Flagler released a statement saying, "We have reviewed the AGs subpoena and intend to comply with it in all respects."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hurricane sandy, new york news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos