New York News
Arrest made in deadly Williamsburg hit and run
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two pedestrians were struck, one fatally, in an apparent hit and run in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn Thursday morning.
Authorities say a 35-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman were crossing Borinquen Place near Keap Street when they were struck by at least one car at around 5:40 a.m.
The Chevy Malibu had apparently crossed a double yellow line while passing another vehicle.
Police made an arrest late Thursday. Police say 27-year-old Adam Recio has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death, and leaving the scene of an accident resulting in serious injury.
Friends said the two had just left a bar on Broadway when they were struck.
The man was thrown into oncoming traffic, where he was struck again by a Kia. He died at the scene, and the driver of the Kia stayed at the scene. The woman was in critical condition at Elmhurst Hospital.
The dangerous open stretch of Borinquen Place, near the Williamsburg Bridge, has claimed at least three lives since September of 2011.
A 57-year-old man walking to work was fatally struck by two vehicles while crossing Borinquen Place at the exact location in January, and a 24-year-old bicyclist was struck and killed at the intersection of Borinquen Place and Rodney Street in September 2011.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, hit and run accident, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 54 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 38 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 26 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 26 min ago