New York News
Arrest made in deadly Williamsburg hit and run
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two pedestrians were struck, one fatally, in an apparent hit and run in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn Thursday morning.
Authorities say a 35-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman were crossing Borinquen Place near Keap Street when they were struck by at least one car at around 5:40 a.m.
The Chevy Malibu had apparently crossed a double yellow line while passing another vehicle.
Police made an arrest late Thursday. Police say 27-year-old Adam Recio has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death, and leaving the scene of an accident resulting in serious injury.
Friends said the two had just left a bar on Broadway when they were struck.
The man was thrown into oncoming traffic, where he was struck again by a Kia. He died at the scene, and the driver of the Kia stayed at the scene. The woman was in critical condition at Elmhurst Hospital.
The dangerous open stretch of Borinquen Place, near the Williamsburg Bridge, has claimed at least three lives since September of 2011.
A 57-year-old man walking to work was fatally struck by two vehicles while crossing Borinquen Place at the exact location in January, and a 24-year-old bicyclist was struck and killed at the intersection of Borinquen Place and Rodney Street in September 2011.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, hit and run accident, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company 7 min ago
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 42 min ago
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 41 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake 22 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
15 min ago