New York News
Sandy's terror on Staten Island caught on tape
MIDLAND BEACH (WABC) -- The lights had just gone out and a wave had just swept into their home on Mason Avenue in Midland Beach.
Isabella Gorishnay, only 13 years old, showed us what's left of her family's home and the video diary. She and her family had just climbed up into their attic, where they would stay for the next 13 hours.
"We are upstairs in my attic. The water's getting high on the bottom. We don't know what to do. There's nothing up here. The water's outside. Literally, cars being moved from the impact of all the water," she said.
More than 3 weeks later, it's still hard for her to watch and to hear her family crying.
You hear her 7 year-old brother and you see her 10-year-old sister, who boils it down remarkably. "I am scared half to death, just crying hysterically. Everything is gone. Everything my parents worked for, gone," Rachel Roytblat said.
"I saw my mom cry and i got really worried, but when I saw tears roll down my dad's face? There's a big problem, like something's gonna happen," Isabella said.
Their home is now tagged yellow, but the inside is gutted. They'll need to figure out whether fixing the home is worth it as Isabella tries to figure out if she'll get passed, the memories.
Isabella and her family have lived here in midland beach for the past 8 years. She's now living with a friend so she can still attend her school. They've registered with FEMA, but like others around here their future is uncertain, at best.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, hurricane sandy, new york news, stacey sager
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos